Welcome to Red Kitchenette! I’m Danielle, a wife and mother of 2 in New York City. Before the birth of my girls (Audrey, 5 and Emme, 2) I worked as a health-supportive chef and nutritional consultant. Now, I’m cooking for my family and sharing all of my tried and true creations with you. The recipes you’ll see here reflect my life as a busy mom, but also the chef in me that loves really good, nutritious food.
Do you create every recipe on Red Kitchenette:
Yes, each recipe has been created, developed and tested (sometimes tested many times) by me.
Do you take the photographs:
Yes, I take every photo using the Canon EOS 70D SLR. I am a work in progress.
Do you have a food philosophy:
Yes and no… I don’t believe in extremes, fad diets or trends. I do believe in eating a well-balanced diet and eating in moderation. At home we eat clean and mostly unprocessed foods. We stick to natural, refined flour-free and refined sugar- free foods; we eat lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains, and loads of fresh fruits and vegetables. I always try to provide meals that coincide with the season and avoid foods with ingredients I can’t pronounce. As for moderation, when we’re out, anything goes. There’s a time and a place for everything. And if you’re eating really well 80% of the time, it leaves a good amount of time to indulge in the things you wouldn’t want to eat everyday. It also creates a stress-free environment when it comes to feeding the kiddos. I never stress if the girls had a dinner of grilled-cheese or pizza because I know their diet is so balanced and varied that one or two meals without a proper vegetable won’t hurt.
Are the recipes you post just for kids:
Absolutely not. While the recipes I post are baby/toddler/kid-friendly foods, they are also what I am feeding myself and husband. I know plenty of people without kids that make these recipes on a regular basis. The only time the girls ate differently than us was when they were just starting solids and soft finger foods – those recipes you can find under the baby food section.
Can I write about one of your recipes on my site:
Of course, just please make sure to give a shout-out/credit to the Red Kitchenette site.
I graduated from the University of Connecticut with a B.S. in Human Development and Family Relations and from The City College of New York with an M.A. in Psychology. I completed my health counseling certification through the Institute for Integrative Nutrition and the chef’s training program at the Natural Gourmet Institute for Food and Health. Before going to culinary school I worked in healthcare research for Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and Weill Cornell Medical College. After culinary school I started and ran a business that provided meal delivery service, cooking classes, and nutritional consulting. I have interned and freelanced for several top NYC restaurants and catering companies as well as the test kitchen and nutrition department of Good Housekeeping Magazine.
A Few More Random Tidbits About Me:
- I’ve lived in New York City for 18 years and still consider it one of my first true loves.
- I am deathly afraid of ferris wheels. And ocean rip tides. And scary movies (my husband will never forgive me for this one).
- My 6th grade science fair project was titled “Grapes Vs. Twinkies” – I was convinced those who ate a healthy breakfast had a higher GPA than those who didn’t. Apparently my 12 year old self had good foresight.
- I have seen hundreds of bands live….In another life I’d be a professional drummer.
- Mac N’ Cheese is my weakness. And pretty much every other combination of carbs and cheese.
- The world of social media overwhelms me.
- I’ve been practicing yoga for over 20 years. In those 20 years I’ve also had love affairs with Pilates, CrossFit and SoulCycle.
- I am not a morning person and don’t function well before coffee. My kids don’t seem to understand this.
- The Voice and SATC reruns are my guilty pleasures.
- I started a non-profit in 2014 (Moms For Moms) – we provide single mothers in need with everyday childcare essentials.
* Have more questions? Shoot me an email at info @ red kitchenette.com