Wanna see your kiddos gobble up Spinach?? Add fresh strawberries, candied walnuts and a sweet balsamic dressing to it and boom…mission accomplished! There’s just something about the sweet, salty, tangy combination that is irresistible.
This salad is a perfect warm weather lunch or side dish alongside steak, chicken, salmon or grilled shrimp (my fave!). It’s also easy enough for kids to help out. They can whisk the dressing, slice the strawberries, plate it, or make it look pretty (my girls fave!). Give it a try and let me know what you think.
This Salad is:
- Fun for kids to help with
- Loaded with Vitamins & Minerals
- Kid Friendly
- 10 oz. baby spinach
- 1 lb. fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tab maple syrup
- 1 tab extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup balsamic vinaigrette (See notes)
- Place spinach and strawberries in a salad bowl
- Candy walnuts: place walnuts, maple syrup, olive oil and salt in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes until liquid has reduced and started to caramelize. Remove nuts from heat and let cool (this is an important step for the nuts to harden). Once cooled, break any pieces that have stuck together into bits.
- Top salad with candied walnuts and drizzle with dressing.
* Makes ¾ cup dressing - reserve any extra