I am so glad I finally busted out my slow cooker last night. I always forget how nice it is to toss a bunch of ingredients in and come home to a ready-made delicious dinner. Even better, it is bone-chilling cold here in NYC today and this warm chili is totally going to hit the spot.
While the girls were having breakfast this a.m. I simply tossed all the ingredients for veggie-packed chili in and we came home this afternoon to a perfectly cooked, warm, hearty, filling, and super healthy dinner. Plus, the girls love that I include little bowls of their favorite toppings to include at their own discretion. They love the indepence and I love seeing them fill their bellies with veggie, fiber & protein packed goodness!
This Recipe Is:
- Warm and comforting
- Easy to make
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 28 oz. can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 15.5 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15.5 oz. can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- For serving: sour cream, shredded cheese, diced avocados, corn chips, or fresh cilantro
- In a (4-6 qt.) slow cooker, combine all ingredients plus 1 cup water. Cover and cook on low until the sweet potatoes and carrots are tender and the chili has thickened, approx. 7 hours. Alternatively, cook on high for 4 hours.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.