As a child of the 80’s, fruit roll-ups were a really big deal. But, I suppose it’s no surprise, my mom never really bought them for me. Instead, she made a lot of homemade dehydrated fruit leather (i.e. good for you fruit roll-ups). They didn’t come in a cartoon covered box and they weren’t as shiny and sweet as the ones my friends had, but man were they good. I loved them then and I love them now. And thankfully, I have a way to make them that doesn’t require a dehydrator. Just a good ol’ fashioned oven.
You can buy a lot of different versions of fruit leathers, strips, bites, etc…these days, but nothing really beats a homemade version you can add whatever fruits and veggies you want to – without added sugars and artificial colors. This version here is fresh strawberries, oranges and steamed carrots. That’s it! Simple, pure, and the perfect little fruit snack. Plus, they make an adorable play-date or holiday party healthy treat!
These Fruit Leathers Are:
- Loaded with nutrients
- Adaptable to different tastes
- 2 cups hulled strawberries
- 2 medium oranges/clementines, peeled
- 1.5 cups steamed carrots
- Preheat oven to 200 and line a baking sheet with nonstick parchment or a silpat.
- Combine strawberries, oranges and cooked carrots in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Transfer mixture to a small saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring often, until mixture has thickened, about 20-25 minutes.
- Pour mixture onto baking sheet and spread into a thin layer. I like to use a rubber spatula.
- Bake for 3.5 hours. Let cool completely and peel off the silpat/parchement. Cut into thin strips and roll-up (i roll in parchment paper) and place in an airtight container for up to 1 week.