It’s so easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everyday mom life that we can ofter forget to take care of ourselves. I can feed my kids the healthiest, most nourishing breakfast in the world and forget to eat myself until hours later. I just don’t have an appetite first thing in the morning when my kids are eating. And the morning madness definitely doesn’t make it easier. Getting dressed, brushing our teeth, arguing over what jacket to wear, and actually navigating our way through NYC to make it to school on time, looking somewhat put together? Definitely no time to eat.
Lately I’ve been making energy bites that I set aside for only me (in a secret spot)!! They’re portable, energizing, full of protein, filling and easy to throw in a baggie in my purse. No crashing and no hungry belly – 100% mom fuel at its finest.
You can change up the ingredients to your liking. Here is a version using dried figs, oats, almonds and cacao that is a favorite of mine. Just make sure you add nuts/seeds for protein and fat, dried fruit for sweetness, and any superfoods you have on hand, like goji berries or mulberries, for extra mom superpowers.
These Energy Bites Are:
- Full of fiber
- Loaded with protein
- Easy to make
- 1 cup packed dried figs, stems removed
- 1 cup raw almonds
- ¼ cup whole rolled oats
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 1 tab agave, maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 tab goji berries or goji powder, optional
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine, then with a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl. Pulse for 2-3 minutes, until the mixture is combined well, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed.
- Place mixture on parchment paper, lay a piece of saran wrap over the top. With a rolling pin, roll out mixture into a flat square or rectangle, about 1 inch thick. Place in the fridge to chill for 1 hour. Cut into 1” squares and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.