Wow, it’s been a really long time since I’ve posted. Not because I haven’t been feeding Audrey (and Emme) their normal healthy and adventurous fare…more because I’ve been lacking in the photo/writing/blogging department. But I am back and ready to begin sharing again the fun and creative meals we are exploring. Today is a simple yet delicious version of a grilled cheese with kale pesto and smoked chicken added to it.
Making a pesto out of kale is one of my favorite ways to introduce this leafy green veggie to kids, especially toddlers and babies. I like to make a big batch and use it throughout the week, adding it to pasta, roasted chicken or fish, or spread thinly onto sandwiches. Adding a layer to a grilled cheese subtly challenges the tastebuds of little ones in a way that is familiar and easy – it also gives it a nice little nutritional boost. Yummy and perfect for a cozy winter lunch, I hope you and your kids will enjoy this recipe as much as my girls do.
- 4 pieces whole-grain bread
- 4 teaspoons kale pesto (for my kale pesto recipe, click here)
- 4 pieces sliced mozzarella
- 4 pieces smoked chicken breast deli meat
- Spread each side of bread with 1 teaspoon pesto. Top one slice with 1 peace of mozzarella, some chicken, and the second piece of mozzarella (you want the chicken in between the 2 pieces of cheese). Top with remaining slice of bread.
- Put in a panini press for 1 minute. If you don’t have a panini press, place in a dry nonstick skillet and press down with a spatula until it forms a "panini" and the cheese is melted and heated through.
- Cut into your favorite shape and serve.