I like bananas just as much as the next person, but my girls…they LOVE bananas. And while you might think of bananas as caloric and sugary, they can sometimes be exactly what little growing bodies need. Kids burn a lot of energy, and require a lot of energy: they are busy in school, in organized activities, sports, or just simply running around playing. Babies are burning just as much energy discovering the world around them. Enter the banana. The combination of natural sugars balanced with the soluble fiber and potassium in just one banana can provide the healthy and stable energy little ones need. So whether you’re mushing them in between your fingers as a first food for baby, adding them to smoothies, baked goods, breakfast, or just throwing one in your bag as an after school snack, know that you are providing your child with something not only sweet and delicious, but also very nutritious.
The Health Benefits of Bananas:
- Vitamin C: Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant, boosts children’s immune system and improves their absorption of other nutrients such as iron.
- Vitamin B6: Commonly found in animal products, bananas are an excellent vegan source of B6 which helps brain development and hormone levels. Vitamin B6 also helps regulate sleep and irritability. Enough said…
- Folate: Folate is very important in producing new brain and muscle cells. Children who don’t get enough folate can develop anemia, digestive problems, weight loss, weakness and irritability.
- Potassium: This is an electrolyte mineral that supports good nerve and muscle function – it’s also vital in maintaining a healthy balance of fluids in the body.
- Fiber: Bananas are a great source of dietary fiber, which helps food move smoothly through the digestive tract and maintain healthy, regular bowel movements.
- Carbohydrates: Carbohydrates are the body’s most important and readily available source of energy. The carbohydrates found in bananas (mainly sugar in the form of Glucose, Fructose and Sucrose) when combined their high fiber content, provide instant and substantial energy to little bodies.
Stay tuned for my easy and amazing recipe for Drinkable Banana Yogurt!