Ok, this could possibly be the most banal of all the recipes I’ve ever posted….but I just can’t help myself. It’s summer and it’s hot and if you’re like me, you’re outside playing. A lot. So who wants to be spending time in the kitchen cooking and prepping meals when you could be outside running in the grass? I need quick and easy recipes that Audrey will love. And she loves cream cheese, tomatoes, and cucumbers. So this yummy sandwich has been added to our summer rotation. It’s light, refreshing, and filled with ingredients I always keep on hand. It’s the perfect little summer sandwich you can create in a pinch.
*Feel free to adjust it to your child’s likes and dislikes: sub for favorite veggies, add avocado, omit the salt and pepper, use different bread, whatever works. All that matters is you’ll be serving a delicious lunch without sacrificing your time.
- 4 slices 100% whole-wheat or whole-grain bread
- ¼ cup whipped cream cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large vine ripened tomato, thinly sliced
- ½ small cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- Cut crusts off bread, if you like.
- Spread each side of bread with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Top one side of bread with a few tomato and cucumber slices, top with additional slice of bread.
- Cut in half or quarters and serve.