If you’re looking for an easy and healthy meal, that’s as fun to eat as it is delicious, these mango-chicken lettuce wraps are your answer. I first made them years ago for a former meal-delivery client. She loved them so much they instantly became requested on a weekly basis…sometimes more. So good and refreshing, they made their way into my own lunch rotation and onto my old blog soon after.
Now that Audrey is old enough and mangoes are everywhere you look (thank you, Spring) – I knew this would be a great time to share them with her. They were a huge hit. Not surprising because they are 1. Fun to eat. Have you ever met a toddler that didn’t love eating with their hands? 2. They are like little lettuce tacos and who doesn’t love a taco? 3. They are super tasty. 4. They are a nice break from sandwiches. I could keep going, but I won’t. Just try them out. They are an unexpected kid-friendly meal that you and your little one are sure to love.
These Wraps Are:
- Easy to make
- Toddler- and kid-friendly
- Great for leftover chicken
- 12 oz. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, poached and shredded* (or any cooked chicken, shredded)
- ½ tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup jicama, peeled and finely diced**
- ½ cup fresh mint leaves, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- Juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup)
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha - optional
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large Butterhead or Boston lettuce leaves
- * To poach chicken, put the chicken in a medium pot with just enough water to cover; add ½ tablespoon salt. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat and cook until chicken is firm to the touch (about 15-18 minutes). Meanwhile, prepare a bowl of ice water. Remove the chicken and plunge into the ice water for about 30 seconds to stop the cooking. Drain again. Once fully cooled, shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, mango, jicama, mint, lime juice and zest, oil, sriracha if using, remaining salt and black pepper. Toss well to combine. Divide chicken-mango mixture between each lettuce leaf. Garnish with reserved mint leaves and serve.