Pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin pancakes, you name it….pumpkin is often thought of as a delicious treat. So much so, it’s easy to forget that this member of the squash family is also very, very good for you. Loaded with vitamins including A, C, K and E, minerals including iron, magnesium and potassium, digestive-friendly fiber, and immune-boosting antioxidants, pumpkin truly is pure orange goodness.
This chai pumpkin smoothie is a favorite of Audrey’s. As she sips it she loves to tell me how good her “punkin smoovie” is. If you’re looking for a fun and unique cool weather smoothie, this is it. It’s simple to make, tastes great, and is delicious for breakfast, snack or dessert. What’s more, it’s a great way to introduce your little one to the sweet and spicy taste of one of fall’s best flavors.
- ½ cup pure pumpkin puree (fresh or canned)
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 pitted dates (or 1 tablespoon honey)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ - 1 teaspoon chai mixture (see below)*
- Large handful ice
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp ground cloves
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 tsp ground ginger
Combine in an airtight container - an old spice container is easiest.