A child’s brain is actively growing and changing. And while many aspects contribute to this, food is one of the key components. Here are 10 of the best nutrient-rich foods that fuel the brain to make it stronger, more durable, quicker and healthier. Not to mention, help growing kids stay sharp, focused, and happy all day long. And lucky for you, the same goes for adults. So whip up a batch of tomato sauce, guacamole or chia seed pudding this week.
Top 10 Brain Foods:
- Avocados: These healthy fats enhance blood flow to the brain. Healthy blood flow equals a healthy brain.
- Blueberries: An antioxidant rich food known to help protect the brain from oxidative stress and increase communication between brain cells.
- Broccoli: The vitamin K in broccoli is known to improve brain chemistry and increase brainpower.
- Blackcurrants: Vitamin C has the power to increase mental agility. One of the best sources of this vitamin are blackcurrants.
- Lentils: Lentils provide the body with the sugar glucose, which is vital for brain energy.
- Nuts and Seeds: Nuts and seeds are packed with protein, essential fatty acids, and vitamins and minerals, which can boost mood and keep your nervous system happy.
- Omega-3 Rich Foods: Wild salmon, flaxseeds, trout, mackerel, chia seeds, sardines and walnuts are loaded with omega-3 fatty acids which are crucial for maintaining and developing the nervous system.
- Tomatoes: The lycopene in tomatoes is a powerful antioxidant that helps protect against free radical damage to brain cells.
- Whole Grains: Whole grains, such as oats, quinoa and brown rice improve blood circulation and provide the brain with a steady supply of glucose, which enhances cognitive performance.
- Eggs: Eggs are high in nutrients including choline, omega-3’s, zinc, and lutein, which will help develop and promote concentration.
Bonus –Water: Ok, not a food, but dehydration from too little water in the diet can lead to shrinkage of brain tissue. Not surprising since 85% of brain weight is water…