Broccoli has never been rated at the top of the vegetable likeability list for kids… But when prepared the right way, these little green trees can become household favorites. Next time you’re making it, try roasting with parmesan cheese, sautéing with sweet potatoes and raisins, or stir-frying with soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. Here I’ve added some sweet apples and spicy ginger to up the likeability ante. I hope your little ones will enjoy as Audrey does.
Roasted Broccoli and Apple Puree
9 months + up
Makes 6 (4oz.) servings
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 3 red apples such as fuji or gala, cored and sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated ginger (or ground ginger powder)
Preheat oven to 400. Place broccoli and apples on a parchment lined baking sheet, coat with oil and pinch of pepper. Roast 20 minutes, until soft and cooked through. While still hot, add broccoli and apples, along with lemon juice, butter and ginger to food processor. Puree until desired consistency.